They are simple and they go hand in hand with beer. The original unmodified Pretzels are what I mean.
They are very common in Southern Germany and nearby regions. Most stories claimed that pretzels originated from Christian Monks. However, there are many other tales, some romantic while some rather adventurous, that relate closely to Pretzels. One of the variation is told in Kathrin Heidl’s introduction of Baden-Württemberg. Baden-Württemberg by Kathrin Heidl
Recipe for pretzels
courtesy of Hotel Equatorial Kuala Lumpur
Fine cooking salT 15g
Cooking oil 100ml
1. Mix yeast with warm water and stir.
2. Wait for yeast to rise for a few minutes.
3. Add all ingredient and mix till firm (like rubber).
4. Let it rest for 10min.
5. Cut into portion and rolled into lengths.
6. Let it rest another 5min.
7. Fold into pretzel shape.
8. Dip into lye till colour turn slightly yellowish.
9. Proof for about 20min at 40’C.
10. Sprinkle organic pretzel salt (German imported preferred).
11. Bake for 20min at 200’C till golden brown.
Other Than Bread And Pastry
Apart from Pretzels, Hotel Equatorial offers some other German cuisines as well. The currywurst you see in this picture is a special item available upon request.
Curry wurst is popular in many areas in Germany. In simple terms, it is a German sausage seasoned with curry powder and served unusually with fries; not sauerkraut.
How does it taste? Depending on much you spoil your taste buds, it could be exotic on one end and bland on the other.
Hotel Equatorial is located in a prime location in Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. It can be reached at:
HOTEL EQUATORIAL KUALA LUMPUR
Jalan Sultan Ismail
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Tel : +60 3 2161 7777
Fax : +60 3 2161 9020
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web : www.equatorial.com